Friday, March 20, 2009

Brazilian Bikini Wax Ban Issue- in NJ- How this All started? Part I



It has been a crazy ride these last two weeks. As you might have hear NJ Board of Cosmetology was pressing for a Ban on Brazilian Bikini Waxing. It is important to know the facts and since I have been the culprit in bringing out this issue, I decided to face it head on! How did this crazy idea of banning it get started? Well actually back in June 2007 I sent an email to the NJ Board of Cosmetology asking about information on licensing of waxologists for the Brazilian Waxing. I mentioned that my mom was always training new staff and always received praises on her work and some complaints about old places they had gone too. The NJ Board met in June 2007 and stated that since it was not listed in their rules and regulations and based on three points, one being that it had to do with mucous membrane, two that it was hard to investigate and three that they were concerned about hot wax on such a sensitive area. For the minutes of the meeting please see their website-

I then received a letter just to me, not to my moms salon that we should desist from doing such a practice and that it was illegal since it was not included in the rules and regulations, all that was included was Face, Legs, Arms, Abdomen. It was like receiving an April fool's letter, I thought it was a joke, got scared, did not tell my mom right away and we went about our business waiting to see if any other salons had stopped doing it. We saw no change and almost two years later in a major economic recession, my mom finally leases a second place she is about to open. She purchased a huge sign up and was inspected by the NJ Board of Cosmetology as protocol. She was then called by the NJ Board on 2/14/09 and was told that Brazilian Waxing was illegal and that she could do Bikini Waxing. OH OH!

The has in the past done a google search with my name, and found an article in Day Spa Magazine where they discussed how my email inquiry let to a ban of a well know service. I then saw Rosemary Weiner's name and saw she was for it. I looked up the Spa she owned at the time and was told she no longer worked there but I could leave a message. I did and she called back the next day saying how other salons were upset but no one had stepped up to the plate.
Stay tune for how this ride has been.
www.jairasbrazilianwax.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A friend of mine wants to wear brazilian bikini at first she's not confident on wearing it because of something go beyond of her under wear then I gave her a hair removal product and she likes it...so everytime will go to a beach she's the most beautiful and the best body that fit on a brazilian bikini...